Sunday, June 23, 2013

FROM JUNK FOOD TO REAL FOOD: Jia Ni Teo Talks About How She Lost Weight and Regained Lost Energy and Self -Esteem Through Healthy Eating


I grew up in a world where fast food was a family, soft drinks a form of hydration, and veggies were my nemesis. 
In my first 3 years of high school, I was a cheerleader – which meant I was physically active, and did not have to worry about my weight or self-esteem. This all changed in my third year of cheer leading, where I had an injury and had to undergo knee operation on both knees. 
The result? I lost all the flexibility and strength that I’d cultivated in my legs. I had to learn how to walk again. 
The worst? My doctor said I shouldn’t partake in any physical activity that could potentially be stressful on my knees.
After this experience, a downward spiral began. My waistline increased; my self-esteem went down; my relationship with food deteriorated.
As the weight crept up, I started restricting myself. Eventually, I was stuck in the negative cycle of diet. I ate emotionally, I binged, and then I felt guilty for not having ‘willpower’
I turned to the promises of ‘low-calorie’, ‘low-fat’, ‘fat-free’, and went on every diet under the sun that promised to help me lose the weight. It was crazy, and chaotic!
Short term weight loss resulted, but those instances were quickly surmounted by the gaining of that weight back – and then more. My energy depleted, my skin was dull, and then I slowly felt myself fading away. I had no energy, no drive. My inner fire was dimmed. The weight and moodiness clutched onto me.
I felt anxious. I felt depressed. I felt hopeless.
One day, something clicked within me. Somehow, within me – I knew that there had to be a way. I knew that health, energy, radiance were all simultaneously achievable. 
It is possible. 
And I can do it.
I started going back to ye’ olden days of eating. No junk, no chemicals, no highly-refined, processed food. Just whole foods, fresh food - real food.
I slowly added greens through smoothies into my diet, and soon I found that I had a huge amount of sustainable energy within me. 
I didn’t need java no longer. I didn’t need to rely on sugar to give me the short-term boost. I didn’t need to live on borrowed energy.
The weight magically disappeared. My metabolism increased. The cravings for unhealthy food stopped, and I was soon craving for delicious fruits and homemade healthy goodness.
Food, once my enemy, became my friend.
Food, once a destructive force, became my source of nourishment and energy. 
Life started to flow again.
I knew there was no going back. And once I got onto my daily routine of incorporating green drinks, oh boy – everything started going so well, and fast. 
The next thing I knew, I could enjoy food in their natural state. I could enjoy the juiciness of the sweet strawberry, I could enjoy the crunchiness of a fresh cucumber – I didn’t have to pour sugar or salad dressing onto it! 
It was a miracle.
As the processed, refined, microwavable foods made an exit from my life – I welcomed the colourful, luscious, nourishing whole foods into my life. 
As my skin cleared up, energy levels increased and remained steady, I was able to tune in and listen to my body. I could understand my body better – and I knew that my body didn’t agree with dairy, gluten and refined food.
I also made a choice not to consume meat after experiencing factory farming first-hand. My body never missed it. My body thrives without it. Since then, I feel myself more peaceful, calm, and easily inspired.
Today, my diet consists of vegetables, lots of greens, whole grains, seeds, nuts, and fruits.
Today, I am thriving. 
Many people don’t realize that healthy living and eating is so simple, and so delicious. Raw cheesecakes, raw organic dark chocolate, quinoa sushi rolls and so much amazing food await them. If only they’d approach life with an open mind and heart.
Many people don’t realize that health is the most important asset you can ever have. Our physical body is our sacred vessel, the temple in which our soul resides. We need to take care and honour our body by nourishing it with healthy food and lifestyle choices.
Many people don’t realize that a healthy diet is a long-term lifestyle choice. It is the greatest prevention from diseases. 
Today, we think that we only make drastic healthy lifestyle changes when our body breaks down or shows symptoms of disease and illness.
But the thing is – we can choose to be healthy all the time. Today. Right now. 
We can choose to have beautiful skin, amazing energy, and radiate positivity all the time.
We can choose to live a happy, healthy, abundant life for this whole life experience.
We just have to make that choice.
I’ve made that choice. 
Have you?


About Jia Ni Teo
Jia Ni is a life coach, health coach, writer and creator of the mind-body-soul blog Happy Healthy Abundant. She is inspired to guide others to create and live the life of their dreams, through her return journey from fear into love. You can find and connect with Jia Ni on her Blog, Facebook & Twitter!



No comments:

Post a Comment